Monday, October 12, 2009

Natural Dyes and a Workroom for Me

Hi eveyone, I thought I would show you how all of those natural dyes turned out. These pinks below were from the beautiful boquet of flowers my husband Richard gave me for Spring Day. The skein on the left is Organic Merino, the middle one is 2 ply Merino and the last two are organic. These last two we dyed with a sun dye and I used food colouring for the dyeing process...


These skeins we dyed naturally with coffee. I love the range of colours that developed. These yarns are all merino, just different types of spin.




These photos are of my new work room! I am so excited, I have been thinking recently that the jaccuzi room would be a wonderful room for a work room. With the stash of yarn I have accumulated, the making of knitted treasures for my shop, sewing and everything else that goes into handwork here, it really would be oh, so nice to have my own space to be creative. To have my sewing machine set up ready to use, and all my knitting and sewing goodies to have their own space and still be there a week later would be bliss...
Then last week hubby told me that someone at his work wanted a jaccuzi and that I could have my work room! Yay, (doing a happy dance!) So far the jaccuzi is out of the room and the floor has been levelled. The large sliding door has been removed and bigger windows have been fitted. I can't wait for it to be finished, I will blog the process.
I'm thinking to myself, I have a very supportive hubby :)
Happy Monday everyone...

12 comments:

  1. How nice of your hubby! :) :) :)

    Here's a question of mine...what is the difference between merino and organic merino? I'm thinking merino is a type of sheep? But what makes the wool organic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tammy,

    Merino is a breed of sheep here in South Africa and if their wool is certified organic, it means that certain standards have to be followed and criteria met regarding the food that they eat, the pasture lands they forage in and the non use of parasiticides. It is wonderful wool and I love to knit most of my knitted toys with it. It is good for our animals, good for our planet and good for mankind ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh interesting! I would have never known being fed organically would affect the wool.

    I just know I LOVE everything we have that you've made. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your room looks like it's going to be stunning Linda. The yarn is also gorgeous!! They did start on my room today, and so far so good! They knocked through a new doorway, and tomorrow will be bricking up the other door. The following day they are hoping to paint inside, and then on Monday I have the carpet guy coming in to put a new carpet for me. It's all so exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much Tammy, you are so kind!

    Hi Rene' thanks for popping by I can't wait to see pics of your work room:)

    Warmly

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your natural dyed yarn looks great! I can't wait to see your workroom when it's finished. Your hubby is definitely supportive! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're so forunate to be getting your own workroom, Linda. I have my creative space in the corner of my bedroom but would love to have a whole room just for knitting and crafts. That pink yarn is so pretty, and it's amazing to me that you dyed it with a bouqet of flowers. It would be neat to knit it in to a scarf or purse that would always carry the memory of your husband's gift to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful colors! I always love pinks.
    How wonderful to have your handwork studio. I am sure there will be much wonderful creating happening there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a Waldorf Mum from NZ and I regularly read your posts. It's lovely to hear from someone experiencing the same season as me too! hooray for Spring!. You are so fortunate to have a supportive hubby and that room looks like it is going to be wonderful. Do enjoy and I look forward to seeing some of your creations.
    You mentioned in the post that you used a sun dye and food colourings. Does that mean you used food colourings and left in the sun to heat up instead of on the stove? I have just bought some white T shirts for my boys & I to tie-dye so they can have a yellow and purple shirt as we are following Steiner's days of the week. Many Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a Waldorf Mum from NZ and I regularly read your posts. It's lovely to hear from someone experiencing the same season as me too! hooray for Spring!. You are so fortunate to have a supportive hubby and that room looks like it is going to be wonderful. Do enjoy and I look forward to seeing some of your creations.
    You mentioned in the post that you used a sun dye and food colourings. Does that mean you used food colourings and left in the sun to heat up instead of on the stove? I have just bought some white T shirts for my boys & I to tie-dye so they can have a yellow and purple shirt as we are following Steiner's days of the week. Many Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Castlequeen,
    Thanks so much for visiting :) Spring is lovely isn't it! My work room is almost finished, I can't wait...
    Yes, the sun dye is left in the sun for quite a few hours. I put water in the jar and some vinegar to hold the colour, then I wet the yarn first and then I place it in the jar. All of the yarn is covered with water and then slowly we add the food colouring, move the water about gently. I put on the lid and leave in the sun. I usually leave it in the liquid until the following day. Then I rinse and have such pretty colours. I am sure this would work beautifully with your T shirts. I would love to see how they turn out:)

    Have a lovely weekend...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and leaving a comment:) I will always respond to your comments here, so be sure to check back soon:)
Warmly
Linda

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...