Monday, March 15, 2010

Monday, Wickiup Shelters...

We had a wonderful day today, Jenna and I began our day with some yoga. I haven't done yoga for quite some time, but it really did leave me feeling energised for the entire day. We have decided to include this as part of our daily rhythm. You just feel so good afterwards!

Caiden started his Native American block today and we began with a study of the People of the Longhouse. It was amazing to learn all this new information. We are using the lovely Christopherus curriculum and it is really wonderful and easy to work with:) Then to finish off todays work, I read him the story of Heron and Hummingbird a Hitchiti Tribe tale.


He built a Wickiup all by himself from pruned branches and loved the process. When Native American Indian's used to be out on a long hunt and weren't returning home that evening, they would build a temporary shelter, similar to this to keep them dry and warm for the night. Tomorrow he will learn how to light a fire without matches, his sister is a Sea Scout so she will show Cady how to do this. (He is very excited)



Later today, just as the sun was setting, we brought some blankets to put down on the floor of his Wickiup shelter and we all crawled in through the little opening and I read the story of the People of the Longhouse to Cady and Erin. Such a beautiful book with lovely illustrations.( Houses of Bark by Bonnie Shemie.) We are learning each day in such a practical way, I just love it!


Our Oak trees are already showing signs of Autumn...


Wise Olive... watching me from the dining room window...


Playful Charlie, always ready to pounce from the bushes to an unsuspecting passerby...


A beautiful sunset to bring a close to our day...

Thank you for visiting, friends:)
Warmly
Linda

11 comments:

  1. impressive! he must have been quite proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow talk about hands on learning that is an awesome little fort. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love this post, Linda! What a magnificient structure and how marvelous that you tie in the learning in such a meaningful and spiritual way. You're doing an amazing job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your posts are always so beautiful, Linda. Both the photos and your words. It sounds like a perfect day, and I love the pics of your kitties.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had such a fun time learning about Native Americans last year.

    Caiden's wickiup is quite impressive. Please tell him what a nice job I think he did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos! I started out my day with yoga today as well. I feel so great afterward. That's a great fort!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda, the confidence that radiates from your daughter's face is beautiful. Yes, include yoga into your routine - I can't wait to have both my girls practice it with me mindfully. Right now - it is more play - still fun though.
    I loved this post and your son's Wickiup. How cool is that!
    We lost a very special tree yesterday in a storm - I am grieving terribly over it - my view of the tree has been replaced with a big sharp building - needless to say I love your tree.

    L, N

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful shelter! We will be doing a similar block soon too, and we have some of the same books. We had the Christopherus curriculum for 1st grade only, I am feeling like I am really missing it for third grade. Nice to know that you like it. Do you think you will try it for fourth grade too?
    Hope we get to see the fire making...
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing another little pocket of your lives..and you are a cat lover too. Such beautiful pusses they are.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful space to enjoy one's childhood. So sweet

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! What a wonderful experience. In fact, your entire blog is amazing. Thank you so much for sharing here. Love & light.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and leaving a comment:) I will always respond to your comments here, so be sure to check back soon:)
Warmly
Linda

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...