Monday, November 7, 2011

Mushrooms and my Book Update


I just wanted to give you a quick update about the Oyster Mushrooms we are growing from a mushroom kit. The box stands inside a bag that is sprayed a few times per day to keep the humidity high inside the growing area. A few days passed and nothing was happening, and then all of a sudden, wow, mushrooms started pushing out through the tiny openings in the plastic window in the box!! It's truly amazing and they grow so fast, you can almost watch them grow! This is really such fun:)


I have had a few wonderful people write to me and ask about the progress of my book, I am so sorry it has taken me this long to write about this very exciting part of my life, but today I am going to give you a sneak peek at one of the new patterns that will be a part of the book. The book will be about knitting patterns for animals from all over the African continent and a few other exciting patterns as well. It will be so much more than just a knitting pattern book and I am thrilled about it!!

This is my new design for the African Elephant, it took me a while to form his shape into just the right amount of bulk, his sloping hindquarters that recede down to his tail and his front legs that slope forward as if he is leaning downwards. He also has a concave back, just ever so slightly... He is a large fellow and just wonderful to carry around...


I have learned so much about each animal that I am knitting, for instance, elephant's molars each weigh 5kg / 11 lbs! I love this process so much and I am so grateful to be on this amazing journey and to be able to share it here with you...


Have a lovely week,
Linda

16 comments:

  1. I've heard of the mushroom growing kits, but never seen them before. I think I just might have to try that sometime!

    How exciting that you are writing a book! I'm sure it will be very successful. Your creations are always so great. And your elephant is no exception. How adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mushroom growing looks like fun. Here in Seattle, we have so much moisture that mushrooms grow everywhere, but I never know which ones are edible!
    I am excited for you and your book. That elephant is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun with your mushrooms! I grew some from a mini mushroom farm and absolutely loved watching their progress and then tasting how truly fresh they were. Awesome.

    The knit elephant is looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your mushrooms look great! the elephant is adorable

    ReplyDelete
  5. This summer a vendor was selling the mushroom kits at my local farmers market. I had planned on buying one the next week, but, he never returned. Yours look delicious.
    THAT ELELPHANT!!!!! FANTASTIC!!! I can't wait for your book. Your patterns are wonderful. I wish you HUGE success.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi my friend
    Thanks for the update on your book. I am so, so excited about this special book. I am so thrilled for you. Well done for creating this precious project - so gifted, Linda.n

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've wanted to try a mushroom kit for so long. But I figured living in the desert it would be too hot for it even in side. I can't wait to see your book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. dear linda,
    i just loved this post, i'm so happy your mushrooms are popping up looking so healthy.
    and i LOVE your elli, such an adorable pattern, you really are amazing, i'm in awe of how you design these animals. this one is just perfect.
    i thought you might like to read a post on things i learned about the elephant too the last time i was on your beautiful continent.


    http://loritimesfive.blogspot.com/2009/06/ellies-for-geli.html

    i'm so happy for you and your upcoming book.
    xoxo lori

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are all so kind and wonderful, thank you for your kind words, they mean so much to me:)

    Love
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Linda,
    The elephant is so cute - you are a "yarn-artist". I love your knitted animals!

    Bye Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness, what a wonderful elephant, you put so much detail into it! Looking forward to seeing the book! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. How exciting, to have a book in the works! That elephant is amazing. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am frightened of the mushrooms and in love with the elephant. I think I'll go to bed now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your book sounds really exciting :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ahh- he is beautiful!! I can't wait to buy your book. I;m sure it will be popular here and in the USA.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and leaving a comment:) I will always respond to your comments here, so be sure to check back soon:)
Warmly
Linda

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...